This blog is dedicated to the sublime instruments called nose flutes and which produce the most divine sound ever. We have chosen to discard all the native models from S. Pacific and Asia, for they need fingering to be played. We'll concentrate on "buccal cavity driven" nose flutes : the well patented and trademarked metal or plastic ones, plus, by a condemnable indulgence, some wooden craft or home-made productions.

Jun 13, 2012

An adorable nose flute by YW

Do you remember YW ? Shuen Ping Chiou (YW) is a Taiwanese graphic designer and amateur nose flute maker. We posted there an interview with him. YW builds very tiny nose flutes with a simple yet efficient concept : gluing together several sheets of wood. Then, he steeps them in a mixture of oil.

Shueng Ping sent me a new (gorgeous) little flute, as tiny as the first he offered to me, but with a improvement in the specifications, and ornated with an adorable white kitty! (According to what I can see on Facebook, many nose flute players are cat lovers...)




Shuen Ping added a message in the little parcel, with a really funny and quite realistic drawing (I've added his picture to compare) :



In his message, his says : « I changed the lip of my nose flutes. And I have this specification to create all my new nose flutes. they will be easier to play and the sound will be cleaner »

Indeed, when you compare the old and the new versions, both the place of the mouth hole and the fipple shape have changed: The length of the air duct has been shortened, providing an upper mouth hole, and the angle of the labium (thus it's length) was sharpened.


The nose saddle stayed unchanged, and very tiny :



The nose flutes by YW are a bit difficult to play for my occidental nose, because of the very small air entrance. However, I can displace my nose and use the flute as a "one-nostril-blown nose flute" and, clogging the other nostril and the part of my mouth on the opposite side (not when I hold the camera at the same time :), I can then get the sound ! Look at this beautiful and sexy picture, and you'll catch what I mean :




Thank you very much, YW, I love your tiny and funny nose flutes!

- Visit the YW's blog
- Reach YW on Facebook

---

No comments:

Post a Comment