This blog is dedicated to the sublime instruments called nose flutes and which produce the most divine sound ever. We have chosen to discard all the native models from S. Pacific and Asia, for they need fingering to be played. We'll concentrate on "buccal cavity driven" nose flutes : the well patented and trademarked metal or plastic ones, plus, by a condemnable indulgence, some wooden craft or home-made productions.

Jul 2, 2012

Bocarina painting by Maikel Mei

A new painting by Mr. Mei. Bright colors and a kind of primitive-symbolic message ?

« Last week I was presented with an 'oilbar' sample, which is a new type of artist's medium. It allows you to draw with oil paint in the shape of pastel chalk, which you can even work with your hands. The canvas that I had covered with a texture of the ultramarine oil bar had more or less dried, I decided to give it a try: I used yellow and red fingerpaint alone which I pasted on with my fingers. After working the paint into the textured underlayer and into each other, I used my nails to scratch into the paint in order to make it look a little more 'rocky'. The hand and the Bocarina in the picture are exactly the right size, as they are prints of the original. »



« The painting really is an experiment, because I wanted to see if I could combine both types of paint and create some sort of naive, direct 'cave art' without any brush. I had already planned to do something with the bocarina model and thankfully, I received a bocarina yesterday! I had been triggered by the Nosy Diva asking if I would create something around this South African nose flute, but mostly by UkeHeidi's photo-combinations comparing nose flutes and cars. »



---

On the same topic :

- Beautiful drawings by Maikel Mei
- Nose flute paintings by Maikel Mei
- Maikel Mei's new paintings
- Bocarina painting by Maikel Mei

- Mei's History of Art - Series 1: Rock Cave Art

---

No comments:

Post a Comment