Couchois' Whistle: Drawing a template
Oct. 21, 1899, Garrett John Couchois filed a Design patent for a "Whistle". The very elegant shape is registered one monyh later, on 21st of November. Indeed, it is a nose flute, based on the same principle that the Nasalette, but with some improvements: the mouth tube has become circular, which is more ergonomic than a rectangular section, and the nose hood has been replaced by a simple nose shield.
Before building a template for the replica, I analysed the drawings and, as with the Nasalette patent, found some inconsistencies in the design:
- A. The base of the airway does not correspond on side and front views. Indeed, the mouth hole looks very high on the front view.
- B. The largest part of the nose shield is not as the same height on both views.
- C. The nose shield width does not match on front and top views.
However, these are not "fatal errors" and it is easy to correct them to reach a certain consistency.
Next step was to define the dimensions. I measured the distance between the middle of my open mouth and my nostrils, and was able to evaluate the total height of the Couchois' whistle to 7 cm. Then, it was easy to deduce the other dimensions.
On the original front view, the mouth hole was really too tall, so I chose to used its dimensions on the side view, and I corrected the other mistakes.
Then, as I did for the Nasalette, I designed many templates on cardboard until I reached the perfect one (the nose shield looks different on the first picture, but it is just a matter of folding and view angle). And the cardboard model worked as an instrument!
And I was then able to draw the template:
You can download the PDF full size template here.
To be continued!
On the same topic :
- Historic Nose Flutes - The Nasalette: Template
- Historic Nose Flutes - The Nasalette: Building
- Historic Nose Flutes - The Nasalette: Review
- Historic Nose Flutes - Couchois' Whistle: Template
- Historic Nose Flutes - Couchois' Whistle: Building
- Historic Nose Flutes - Couchois' Whistle: Review
- Historic Nose Flutes - Grierson's Whistle: Template
- Historic Nose Flutes - Grierson's Whistle: Building
- Historic Nose Flutes - Grierson's Whistle: Review